July 31, 2011

The Little Changes

This last week was unexpectedly good. An old friend of mine came back into life and I hope to keep them as such for as long as possible. I'm presently back in North Carolina with my family. I'm missing my sister Catherine and Jesse but my understanding is that they're having a lot of fun in Germany.

This afternoon, I enjoyed running around in the warm North Carolinian rain. It was marvelous to do something I haven't done since high school. I didn't take the picture below but I want to use it to help y'all visualize what it looked like when I was outside.


Coming home, I've seen lots of changes in buildings, my house and chapel most notably. I've seen changes in people; kids and teenagers having grown up. Even the familiar environment has grown and changed. As I thought about this, I realized how much I've changed. I haven't been home since December. In that time I've taken seventeen credits, dated two different girls, and been given a new calling. I've learned some of the basics of family history work and many more things on patience and planning. The person I was in December is different from who I am now. I like to think that I'm a more Christlike person then I was.

I've learned that sometimes we have to put aside our deepest desires to do what the Lord wants. It hurts but my personal belief is that when we sacrifice something to the Lord, we always end up by recieving something better in return; the trick is that we usually don't see the better blessing sitting right in front of us. We often only see what we are losing. The Lord knows of your sacrifice and I know that it is not wasted or unseen. I know that when the Lord requires sacrifice He will always bless you. As Elder Holland said "Some blessings come soon, some come late, and some don’t come until heaven; but for those who embrace the gospel of Jesus Christ, they come." I humbly add my testimony to his that they do come. God does ask for a sacrifice without blessing in return. The blessing and its means of coming maybe be unusual but they do happen.

I have learned my short life experience to trust in the Lord. I will be the first to admit that I am far from perfect at this. I will testify that every time, I have trusted in Him everything turns out alright. Things turning our right doesn't mean I don't get hurt or that things magically repair themselves. Usually it means that the Lord supports me and I come out a better and stronger man in the end.

I am home enjoying being my family who I will have for time and all eternity. I hope that each of you can enjoy your family even you are far from them. If you have a hard time, please plead with Heavenly Father to help you to learn to love and appreciate them more. I can promise you that He will open your eyes and help you to see the good in them, no matter how hidden it may seem.

No comments:

Post a Comment