August 4, 2011

The Unsung Heros

So as many of your know I had a guys night with my dad. We went saw Captain America. The movie was good and Marvel gets an A in my book for smooth transitions. After watching the whole hour movie, we had a short drive home. In the short time I got some advice from my dad. I don't think words can adequately describe my appreciation for his advice and compassion.

I thought about how I had sat and watched a two hour movie about fictional hero who wears tights and now I was sitting a few inches from a real life hero but who usually wears slacks. He may not have super strength or speed but he has a super heart, determination, and sense of humor (I'm a little biased on the humor part).

I remember growing up and most often my dad was my hero.

Then I got older and that fade wear off. I didn't want to be around my embarrassing dad. He wasn't cool or super macho. Then I went on my mission. It was there that I finally understood why my dad acted the way he did. I understood that he was learning, and trying his best. He wasn't perfect but he was just trying to do his best to follow his Savior.


Now I more fully understand that he has learned and grown as I have. I know that he isn't perfect but he's a good man who does his best with what he has. I think that he's super good at romancing my mom. He has learned to be more patient, compassionate, and gentile. There are lots of characteristics that I would like to emulate. To me, he is hero, an unsung hero.

So this is a reminder that real heroes don't have super powers, and don't have tights. I plead with you to look for the unsung heroes in your life. Love them and see them as our heroes.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful tribute to your dad. We've always seen the hero aspects in him too.

    Cindy Cunningham

    ReplyDelete