August 30, 2011

When You're There and Then Serve Those Around You

Sadly I've been pretty busy between Sunday evening and now. I went on a ward tubing trip which was fun despite me being severally cold afterwards. I started reading The Screwtape Letters last week. It is very interesting and slightly difficult read. It is a good book because it has helped me become more aware of some of the subtle ways that Satan and his servants attack.
So the title contains two ideas that came to me last week. The first one is to "Be where you're supposed to be, when you're supposed to be there." This idea comes from Sister Clark the wife of the college president, President Kim Clark; oddly enough she got the line from another speaker when she was in college. Last week I was in the middle of helping out at the Celebrate Youth activity, when the Spirit bore witness to me that I was where the Lord needed me. I don't know if any of you, my dear reader, have had this experience but if you haven't, I hope you are blessed to have it. I will say that this is not the first time I've had this wonderful experience but I still enjoy this experience every time because then I know I'm where Heavenly Father needs me to be, when He needs me to be there. From my short experience in life, I have that doing the will of our Father in Heaven is always the most beneficial experience, no matter how odd, strange or awkward the decision may seem on the surface. Often following impressions of the Spirit and being where the Lord needs you can help serve some one who needs help.

The other thing that I learned this week, I learned on Sunday during both my scripture study and a fireside for our ward was that when you are having a rough time, find some one else to serve and it will help both of you out. In serving them, you lift their burden and follow the Savior in helping to lighten the burdens of others. The way it helps you, is that when you help them, often times you see how minor your problems are or how blessed you are. Recently I had an experience where I thought was tought, I then asked the Lord to let me serve someone. The person he sent me to help was my roommate. I helped him they best I could and soon came to realize how blessed I am.

So my recommendations for you are one, to follow the Spirit so that you can be where the Lord needs you to be when the Lord needs you to be there. The second is when you are feeling low, to find some one else to serve. I promise that doing both of these things will bless and brighten your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment