June 22, 2011

An High Priest Priest of Good Things to Come

Today has been a marvelous day despite a late start. I spent most of today reading talks. My day ended by going to a dance and getting a work and having tons of fun.

Here at BYU-Idaho we have a weekly devotional. A some prominent member comes and gives a talk about a gospel topic. The speaker Julie Merrill gave an amazing talk about being a child of God. She talked about following the Spirit and doing what the Lord wants you to do.

In my religion class just prior to that, we discussed talks by Elder Holland. My teacher showed a clip from one of my favorite talks by Elder Holland. The title is the same as the blog. The video name is just the last four words. I love that talk because he talks about hard times come to all of us, even him. He cites one of them and says that he remembers it vividly. He says that he wishes he could say to himself who was having such a hard time, "Don't worry, good times and good things are just around the corner. Don't give up!" This talk touched me because I read it at a time that I was feeling down about somethings. He said that we must have hope, knowing that Christ will fulfill all of his promises. He uses Paul's phrase of Christ being the "high priest of good things to come".

Between reading all the talks and devotional, I must say that it was something close to having Heavenly Father come down and give me a big hug.

So I'll conclude with a sum of feelings that I feel should help y'all. One remember that you ARE a child of God and that He loves you more than you can understand. Know that He has a plan for your life and that it's probably different from your own. As the German theologian Dietrich Bonhoeffer said "We must be ready to allow ourselves to be interrupted by God." Don't give up your dreams and hopes. If you obey the commandments the Lord will lead you aright and nothing will ever go permanently wrong. May the Lord bless and guide you is my prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment